Tuesday 26 April 2016

Setting up my model inside unity

In order to display my object in most visually appealing way I wanted to set up a scene inside of unity where I could create a build that allowed me to pan a camera around my model .
I will definitely admit that using unity is not my strong point as I haven't had much use for it in my other projects as I am usually a 3d modeler who would be giving my pieces to someone else who would be doing the coding part of the project, so I wouldn't need to interface with unity at all pretty much. Because of my lack of experience with the software I realized that going over the top with effects and camera work would not be something I would be able to achieve, so the first thing i decided to focus on was setting up my materials to apply them to my object.

I then wanted to ensure that my lighting was correct and it displayed my object in a good environment, as with my previous 3d project I definitely think that this was an area where my project fell flat as it looked good in quixel quite but when i took it into engine, I failed to light it correctly and it just didn't look as good as it should of.
I went for a pretty basic lighting set up in the end however, something that showed the shimmer of some of the armor parts but also cast a good shadow onto the banner,

My next focus was to implement the ability to pan a camera around my object, and as i stated previously my lack of knowledge in unity and coding was not help for me here, so i took to the unity asset store. I found a pretty helpful piece of free cam code that I was able to apply to my scenes in engine camera, this then allowed me when I played the scene to let me play it as if I had no clip on within a game. 


Above is a screen shot of my final model within my finished scene, you can see here I have walled off the scene and this is because I had some issues where when in play mode the camera would but out if it wasnt looking at anything other than the model or the floor, So i need to fix this. I also added a yellow area light to the bottom of the model so it would illuminate the bottom parts of the model and tint the banner slightley



The video above contains footage of the panning camera within the build that I created. I think it works pretty well as it gives the view the ability to have a thorough look around the model at there own pace, being able to look at particular parts as close up as they like. If i had more knowledge of coding I would of liked to of smoothed the camera a bit more, as it seems quite jagged when I moved the mouse and you can see that in the video. I would of also liked to of added a zoom function to the camera.



No comments:

Post a Comment