Wednesday 23 March 2016

Finished tau head

After completing all the low poly pieces for my models body I decided that it was time to revisit the head model as it wasn't completed the last time I tested it in quixel.

As you can see below, I followed up on what I said I would do with my low poly model and used the high poly zbrush model of my head that I created as a live surface in maya and modeled my low poly model around that, so now the previously far more humanoid low poly face has a far more gaunt look, with a flat nose. This now means that when I bake my high poly model onto this there wont be any obscurities. 


Bellow Is my first attempt at creating the head again within quixel. This time I got it much closer to how I wanted the final piece to look. A noticeable error at this stage though was that I had forgotten to smooth the eye on my low poly object, so when I baked my models together in Xnormal it put some detail onto the eyes that shouldn't be there. Other than that Im pretty happy with how the head looks at this point, but as you will see below after I smoothed out the eyes and brought my head back into quixel I decided to make some aesthetic changes to the textures.


Bellow are some screen shots of my final materials that where created from my finished iteration of the tau's head that I created in quixel. The final outcome can be seen right at the bottom of this post.


Albedo
During the process of creating my materials in quixel, I decided to add a few details to my albedo within photoshop. I layered over some pupils on top of the eyes, added some decals to the communication device and also added the red spot on the forehead of the tau, as from looking at some reference of the tau, some of there race have this marking and I thought it would add more character to my model.

AO

Colour ID

Gloss
Specular


Normal maps

Unwrapped UV's

Complete rendered head within quixel


Im really happy with the final out come of my models head. The materials I have chosen on this final model are for more accurate in my opinion. The second test that I did made the face look far too shiny so this time I found a material that had a more matt finish too it which i Thought looked really good as it brings out the battle scars on him a bit more. These materials are now ready to be put on to my low poly head when im posing my model.


No comments:

Post a Comment