Wednesday 9 December 2015

UV unwrap and normal maps



Here is my lower part of the low poly rifle that I UV unwrapped ready to put into Xnormal. The process of unwrapping my UV's took a lot longer than I originally thought it would so I am very glad that earlier on in the project, I decided to cut my model into two, as I am pretty sure unwrapping the model as a whole would of been a far lengthier process. 
It did work out very well with this piece however, as each part that unwrapped is essentially a different part of the bottom of the rifle. I've managed to cut the UV's up into five parts, the trigger in the bottom right, the butt of the gun just above it, the under barrel rod next too that, the pieces that attaches the butt of the gun too the handle and then I managed to connect the rifles handle to the reload mechanism in one pieces too the left, which managed to be quite an efficient way to display the UV's



After unwrapping my UV's efficiently I was able too export the model as an OBJ and import it into Xnormal along with the OBJ of my high poly version of the bottom piece of the gun into Xnormal, in order to bake my high poly mesh onto my low poly mesh.
 I began this process by firstly ensuring the high poly was within the high poly section, and of course the low poly with in the low. After this I did a test process, setting the resolution to 1024 instead of 4096, I was then able to bake my meshes.


No comments:

Post a Comment