Tuesday 26 April 2016

Displaying model on sketchfab

Along with putting my model into unity, I wanted to find a way to make displaying my model more acceptable. So I looked up way to do this on google and I found a website that I was previously unfamiliar with called sketchfab. This site allows users to upload a model and apply all the required textures to it that you need. 
As you can see above, the window to the left is the process of applying all the textures, it was as easy as dragging all the textures that I made within quixel into the right boxes. This final render of my object was made of three texture maps in the end, one for the head, one for the base and one for the body, and five materials for each one. 

I was then able to play around with the lighting quite a lot in this program, which aloud me to experiment a lot more than I was able to in unity and with half the time, as this didn't require as much effort to do, considering my lack of knowledge with unity this program was very helpful.
Bellow are some screenshots I took of different lighting effect defaults that sketchfab had to offer. The range of lighting set ups that they had to offer allowed me to see how my model would be shown as if it was in a game with real time lighting. As I had been lighting my model in a sort of day time lighting set up most of the time, it was interesting to see how my materials where effected by a much darker lighting setup like the first screen shot shows. 




With my final lighting set up complete I was then able to upload my object onto this interactive format that allows users to rotate around the object, and zoom in as they please. It also has features like being able to overlay the uv mesh and even showing the model without any materials on whats so ever.
Finding this site was great for me as it not only allowed me to display my model in a set up on part with that of unity, but it also means that I have a platform to display my model that is easily accessible by other people, as the site is also usable with smart phones it means that if i was to ever run into the opportunity where somebody wanted to see my work, I could easily just get out my smart phone and show them this model in a well lit environment in high detail.


Above are some final screen captures that I created by screenshoting my model inside sketch fab from four different angles and then putting them together inside photoshop.

I'm really happy with the final outcome of this project, I feel that all the work I have done prior to this meant that I could reach this level of detail with this model. I was skeptical at first before starting this project as I began to think that it might of been to much work with it being made of so many separate pieces. But I believe that I have managed to capture the essence of my original references in this object, in a more realistic and accurate representation that would work well if applied to a video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment