Tuesday 26 April 2016

Final revisit of texturing body within quixel suite

As you can see in the above screen shots, I resolved a lot of the issues that I stated I had with my texture sheets in my last post. I got rid of the gaps that where left behind in some parts of the albedo and I also made sure that the colours where all just the way that I wanted them to be, to match the references that I had been using from the beginning of my projects. I also carried through with my idea of making the red paint appear as if it had scratched off more and underneath was the same sandy colour. 

 After a closer look back at the models I was using for reference, I realized also that the broadside battlesuit often has a lot of white markings painted onto the armor, for decoration. So I installed a tau font into photoshop and started creating small words that I could put around the armor, and intricate lines where also added to match the reference pieces. 


 I however ran into an unfortunate problem at this stage though. After reaching this stage of completion and exporting my materials from the quixel suite, I decided to clean up my hardrive to organize my file structure a bit more, deleting old test materials and out dated files. During this process I accidentally managed to delete the materials that I had previously exported. Fortunately for me, I was able to load of my project in quixel, back to a save point before I had applied the decals to my armor.



This then only meant that I had to reapply the white decal detail to my model, So I decided that this time around I was going to be a lot more careful with the process, as I noticed that some of the decals that I applied to my albedo material came out slightly distorted when applied the model.

Below are screen shots of the final material's that I exported after accidentally deleting the first ones.


Albedo

AO

Colour ID map, re worked again so that there where no colour's that had baked through where they shouldnt of, like what had happened with my initial attempt. I found that that was the problem with the top of the gauss cannon, all I had to do was fill in the colour where it was missing and it fixed the issue. For some reason this didn't work for the other texture issues that I showed earlier on however, so to fix those issues I simply layered over the parts that needed adjusting on the albedo material. 

Gloss

Creating the normal maps and the AO was a Long process as I had to bake a few objects at a time to avoid any issues where one object would end up baking on to another. meaning that I had to group up some of the objects that where furthest away from eachother, like I would bake the feet and the torso at the same time for instance.
Some editing was required of the normal maps latter on within photoshop as well, to get rid of a few mistakes that would of been easier sorted it out within photoshop rather than xnormal. I did however have to split up some objects into two pieces, for instance the bottom half of the arms had to be split into two objects as it was obscuring the bake, making parts of the arm bake onto other pieces of the body.

Specular

Unwrapped UV's
My UV snapshot was very useful during the editing process of my materials within photoshop. I used it to overlay all the materials that I had to edit so that there wouldn't be any distortion when I applied them to the model. It was patriotically useful when working over my albedo material. This time around, I over layed the uv's so that when I was applying the decals to the armor they would line up much better with the uv's so that they wouldn't distort.







Above are the screenshots of the the final outcome of my model with all its materials applied within quixel. Im far happier with this iteration that the previous one that I lost my files for. I'm glad that I had to come back as it meant this time around I noticed my mistakes with applying the details on top of the albedo the first time around within photoshop, meaning I had a better quality outcome this time.





No comments:

Post a Comment