Tuesday 26 April 2016

posing model and creating model base





I wanted my model to have a base that I could pose it onto, much like the base from the model that I have been using as my reference. Only, I wanted my base to have a bit of terrain on it like a rocky surface so I've posed my model so that he's lifting his leg up onto a higher rock. Posing my model in the position was made a lot easier because of the work I put in earlier on in my workflow where I positioned all the joints for each separate object so that they would move naturally.


I exported the base that I created within maya into Zbrush so that I could begin applying some detail into the rocks. This process didn't take so long as other work that I've had to do in zbrush as there was only a few cracks and wear that I had to apply to the rocks. 


Earlier on in my project, I had plans to attach a banner to the back of my model, but as I was creating my model, I began to realize how awkward and inappropriate it would be for this battle suit to have a flag waving around on his back while he had two cannons that have to swivel backwards and forwards. From a design stand point, the chances of the battlesuit getting the flag caught in the cannons would be high, so I decided to leave it off my final model. Not only did this design choice make more sense, but it also meant that the intricate detail on the panel on the battlesuits back wasn't hidden behind a banner. 


After briefly using Ncloth in my game design project, I decided to come back to it again and use it to create the banner that I originally wanted to attach to my battlesuit, and instead stick it into the base that the model will be placed onto. This would then mean that the battle suit would be free to move without the banner impairing its movement.
I wanted the banner to look as real as possible if I was going to be putting it besides my model which has a lot of detail so using Ncloth was a must. To create the banner I had to first convert the flat plane into an ncloth object that could be effected by gravity. I then constrained the vertexs along the top of the flag so that the top of the flag would not be effected by gravity, so I alined these vertexes along the banners pole, mimicking the sense that its hung up over it. I then added some frames to the animation window at the bottom so that I had more time to play with the ncloth animation. Before applying the ncloth simulation, I also made sure that the flag wouldn't clip through the banners pole. So then when I pressed play in the animation window the flag began to flow in the wind, according to the settings that I put it too so that it would blow away from the battle suit. I then exported the banner as an OBJ in the position I found the most appropriate and then added it to the base.
 Above is the final high poly model that I created after exporting the base and the banner together into Zbrush to add some small amount of detail. I also added the Tau insignia to the top of the banners pole so that when I baked my normal maps onto the low poly version it will have that extra level of detail again.

After creating my low poly model from quad drawing over my high poly model inside maya, I decided to play around with the idea of adding grass to the base. Instead of placing my model on a base where the terain was just rock, I considered instead him being in a field where there would be a small amount of rocks among the grass that he was on top of.
I decided against this idea in the end however, as it wouldn't really fit the theme of the reference that I was following. The warhammer 40k universe has a very dark theme and placing my model on a stand thats supposed to mimic the idea of it being within a lush field wouldn't make as much sense. 


AO

albedo
Much like the process with my previous albedo material, I decided to tweak this one a little bit as well so that I could add some detail to the flag. 

gloss

Normal 

Specular

Uv layout



Final base rendered inside of quixel. Im really happy with the final outcome of the base for my model. I think it has just the right amount of detail so that it doesn't draw too much attention away from the main model standing on the rocks. 






No comments:

Post a Comment